My Second Pregnancy

Monday, December 18, 2006

a night at the hospital

Matt and I had a lovely night (morning really) at the hospital. Last night, I had noticed that I was having more contractions than I normally do. I decided to let Matt keep up with them just to make sure it wasn't a big deal. Well...I had 13 contractions in an hour (too many) so I called the doctor. She said I should drink some water, put my feet up, and see what happened in the next hour. If they didn't go away, I should go to the hospital. Well...they didn't go away. We headed on out to the hospital (about midnight) after my mom got here to stay with Nathan.

At the hospital, it took FOREVER to get signed in. I really think we were at that desk for more than half an hour. It seemed a bit ridiculous to me...at least it wasn't an emergency! We ended up staying at the hospital until this morning when my doctor could come by. It wasn't a pleasant experience exactly, but at least I'm not in labor.

My contractions continued and even got a little closer at times, but they weren't causing me to dilate, so they're still considered Braxton-Hicks. They did give me Brethine/Terbutaline at the hospital as well as IV fluids. I also have a Brethine/Terbutaline prescription to take. Hopefully that will keep the contractions at bay for a couple weeks. I will be at 36 weeks on the 29th. That is generally considered safe (though still premature).

For those of you who may be wondering, Nathan was born at 37 weeks which is not considered premature.

So...that was our fun for the night. I think we'll both be glad to actually get a good night's sleep tonight!

2 Comments:

At 12/18/2006 8:05 PM, Blogger j.j. said...

Yikes -- no fun at all! Glad to read that you didn't go into labor. I'm sure it will be difficult to relax and try to take it easy during the holidays with an almost 3 year old to run after!!!

 
At 12/18/2006 8:56 PM, Blogger Ldani said...

I know you don't need to hear it, but I need to say it, "Take it easy." If things don't get done, everyone will understand. All right, lecture is over. We're thinking about you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home